Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Meet Scott....living outside.

From my Facebook Page ... Facing Homelessness - Issaquah

Today I had the pleasure of meeting Scott who was flying a sign outside of the Target store in downtown Issaquah. It quite simply said that he was cold and wet and struggling to stay warm. As is our Facing Homelessness motto, my daughter and I stepped out of our truck, grabbed the extra box of Girl Scout cookies that we had in the front seat and went over to say HELLO.

Scott immediately smiled from ear-to-ear! He told me that the Samoa Girl Scout cookies are his wife's favorite!

I asked him how he's doing and where he's living. He explained that he's been in a tent with his wife in a specific area of Issaquah where I've heard a few other folks are living right now. He really wants to get inside, but fears he'll be asked to separate from his wife. If anyone in this community is aware of shelter options for a married couple that would be wonderful! I have his contact information and plan to follow up with him.

After my daughter and i left we went into Panera and bought him a nice warm bowl of broccoli cheddar soup, a baguette, and a fresh bottle of water. He gave me a huge hug and said a gigantic thank you as he sat down immediately to eat.

When I asked him if I could take his photograph, he smiled and said, "Of course." I told him that I would let all of you know that it's totally fine to say hello to this nice young man.

A little more about Scott...i can tell he's a genuine guy. He will be the first to tell you that he's had a rough go of life, which includes a stint in jail after a DUI.....and trouble finding work. He explained the challenge of getting a driver's license when you don't have an address.  This is homelessness. It rubs a person raw and systematically makes opportunities so much more difficult. No one deserves to go cold and hungry. And I could tell he was both.

So if you see Scott, ask him what he needs...or just say hello. Today he had a moment of joy with a simple bowl of soup. And...I'll add that he said he just needs someone to give him a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment