Monday, July 15, 2019

Kindness on Social Media

My daughter and I were discussing social media and why we're holding off on it for her...We discussed the way that kids can be mean to one another on the internet. We also discussed that it's easy to feel left out when kids are posting about their outings and parties, and you weren't invited. Sadly, even with my very tight friend list, I was able to show her examples in my adult world- moments where mean things were said and times when I felt left out.  Even if I can't go to things because I'm sick,  gosh it's nice to be invited!

Empathy.  Compassion.  Awareness of others.  Think before speaking/posting. Consideration.  Im not perfect. That said, Im contemplating digital citizenry, because our online world creates distance while making us feel artificially connected.  As we become more distanced from one another, we run the risk of dehumanizing the other as OTHER.   Kids and adults together.... we must do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment