Saturday, February 25, 2017

We are meant to take up space

"Taking up space in your life means being willing to claim your space in the world. It means that you recognize that you have a voice, an opinion, needs, wants and desires that all matter equal to that of anyone else in this world.  Unfortunately, I hear this thinking too often:
•    I don’t want to be a burden.
•    I don’t want to trouble anyone.
•    I don’t want to upset anyone.
•    I don’t want to cause conflict.
•    I don’t want to inconvenience anyone.

Underneath that thinking there is often the underlying fear – “I am afraid that I am too much.” The inverse of that fear is the opposite – “I am afraid that I am not enough.” But in my book, they are born of the same place. It’s a fear that there is something wrong with us, and so we shrink ourselves, our bodies and our desires, lest we reveal to the world that which we fear may be defective.

Well, I’m here to ask you, what is too much anyway? What is not enough? Who defines these things? Does an objective truth for this measure even exist?

Our lives – our needs and our bodies - are meant to take up space."

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/blog/claim-your-space

No comments:

Post a Comment