Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thoughts on Gratitude, Inspiration from Henry Nouwen

On this Thanksgiving, I find myself contemplating gratitude with the helpful insights of Theologian Henry Nouwen.  

I will offer two quotes below that inspired tremendous gratitude in my heart.  Perhaps you'll find that Nouwen also inspires you this Thanksgiving.

QUOTE 1
Five lies of identity:
1) I am what I have
2) I am what I do
3) I am what other people say or think of me
4) I  am nothing more than my worst moment
5) I am nothing less than my best moment.

QUOTE 2
"We are only truly grateful people when we can say thank you to all that has brought us to the present moment... 

Let’s not be afraid to look at everything that has brought us to where we are now and trust that we will soon see in it the guiding hand of a loving God."

Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving!

Who was Henry Nouwen?

Henri Nouwen was a spiritual thinker, a synthesist and one of the first in our time, along with Thomas Merton, to consciously develop a “theology of the heart” and to lay this down as a template for both clergy and lay persons. Henri had an unusual capacity to write about the life of Jesus and the love of God in ways that have inspired countless people to trust God more fully.

He showed, and continues to show, a generation of ministers, teachers and seekers how one’s gifts are to be placed at the service of those whom God places in our path. He gives us a model for building the kinds of relationships and communities that will allow each person to find his or her personal mission.

Source: Henry Nouwen Society 

No comments:

Post a Comment