Saturday, April 13, 2019

Not My Will.... Thoughts on Holy Week

I'm ready for Easter.  Not the cute bunnies and egg hunts (those are great too), but i'm talking about movement through the suffering of the cross and into the goodness of resurrection.

Advent and Lent get me every time.  EVERY TIME.  Alas, one doesn't get to skip Holy Week.  I'd imagine Jesus wished he could simply skip this week too.  But he didn't ask to be absolved from the suffering when he saw what was going to happen.  Instead he completely surrendered to God.

“My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

Not my will, but yours.
As I contemplate the immense suffering of Jesus this week,  combined with the joyful resurrection, I will not complain about my situation. I've been very sick and fighting.  I still am sick and fighting a bad infection.  Yet there's been so much grace...I see it every step of the way...I feel as if the Spirit held me in her care all week... and I shall continue to rest there while I heal. Asking for God's will, not mine.

Courageous vulnerability.
Courageous surrender.
That's what this faith is all about. 
Totally badass when you think about it.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment