Friday, January 19, 2018

A Prayer with Kenny

I feel tears of gratitude and I'm only sharing this because it reminds me of the humility of following tiny nudges. Tonight I left a difficult cranial sacral appointment and felt the need to stop in to Starbucks on 23rd and Jackson. I met a man standing outside named Kenny who was clearly developmentally disabled and homeless. He said he was hungry and so I bought him what he wanted because I never say no to a request for food. When I came out with the two bananas and the hot sandwich he gave me the biggest hug and began to pray. I couldn't make out the words, but it didn't matter because it was clear to me that he was saying the most heartfelt words to God. And so we embraced for a good 30 seconds only to let go and both say Amen laughing.  For me this is what it's all about! Quieting down my life enough that I can follow the nudges that lead me to these moments. And he couldn't have possibly known that I needed that prayer just as much as he did. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment