Saturday, September 16, 2017

A Bedrock of Hope and Peace


Yesterday my bad ass nun spiritual director came to visit to me in the hospital, and she gave me the prayer of Jesus in Gethsemane... I said WHY ME while laughing of course. Her response was, "Why not you??"


"My father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me semicolon yet not what I want but what you want."

"My father, if this cannot pass until I drink it, your will be done."


And it was then that Jesus was taken into the hands of those that would ultimately arrest torture and crucify him.


Powerful modeling of what it means to have one's will fully intact with a natural hope for peace and ease.... yet total simultaneous surrender to the will of God even if it means enduring a seemingly horrible outcome.....and yet it is that very outcome (crucifixion and resurrection) that saves Humanity.

I suppose this is why Kierkegaard said that the gospel is not a happy and easy thing to preach on Sundays. It should offend and scare us... and yet show us a loving path that brings an unshakable bedrock of hope and peace.




This is what I'm mindful of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment