Thursday, December 31, 2015

A night with the Union Gospel Mission Rescue Van

Contributed by Dianne Bell.

I would like to share a little bit about some of the people that I met who touched my heart last night while out with the UGM Search and Rescue Van. First, there was Milton, a small man with a sweet smile and kind eyes that lit up when I asked him his name. I met him on our first stop. I served him spaghetti and found him some socks in the back of the van. We chatted for a few minutes and I ended up giving him my gloves because I felt that he needed them more than I did. He was so grateful. He said "God bless you and thank you most of all for your time." I touched his shoulder and said "God bless you too."

Then there was Joseph. What a bright light this man is! It's hard for me to even describe. Here we were, there to bring comfort, and somehow I walked away from him feeling myself moved by his Joy, Peace and Grace in the midst of his very difficult circumstances. He kept telling us "I'm all right. I'm just fine." He recited a rousing version of the 23rd Psalm (Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for Thou art with me...) to the group of us and in that moment he was a minister. I told him that he is a Bright Light and he smiled at me with a beautiful smile and said "I know. I hear that all the time." 

And then there was Victoria, I tiny, timid woman who nonetheless had a ready smile. She needed a coat, a blanket, food, water, and whatever we could give to help her keep warm and dry on the streets. Once she had assured me that we had given her everything she needed for the moment, we chatted briefly and then just as she was turning to go, she turned back and said "Will you pray with me?" For the span of a few heartbeats, I wondered if I was worthy to pray for this woman whose need was so great. Then I took a deep breath, put my arm around her, and asked God to give me the words.  I prayed out loud with her for her safety, her comfort, for her to know that she is loved, protected, and supported in that moment and in every moment. It was something that I will never forget. I hugged her and she hugged me. She thanked me again and then she walked off into the night.  And so I will be keeping Milton, Joseph, Victoria, and everyone else I met last night, in my prayers. And I will continue to ask God what is mine to do to serve this community.

No comments:

Post a Comment